Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I am thirsty.

'Bad news' was the title of the email I received from my cousin this afternoon, letting us know that a dear piece of their family was lost today. Although not an official part (but probably headed there) of our extended family, he was a very special person to so many who are special to me! A bright smiley face whom we had all shared dinner with just a few weeks ago is gone; his young life taken in a tragic car accident. 

Not fair...no justice...why...shock...fear...uncertainty... all these words overwhelm!

After praying through our tears for our loved ones who have been impacted this life that was taken away, I looked at my mom, who happened to be visiting, (what a blessing that we could call upon God together) and asked...now what? Now what do we do to help? What can we say? What happens next? All day I have wrestled with these questions, but I kept hearing a voice, "draw near, just draw near!" 

Isaiah 55

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David. See, I have made him a witness to the people, a leader and commander of the people. Surely you will summon nations you know not, and nations that do not know you will hasten to you, because of the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, for he has endowed you with splendor."

Seek the Lord while he may be found call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon. 

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree, and instead of the briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the Lord's renown, for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed."

This is always God's plea "draw near to me!" No matter good or bad He asks us to draw near so He can love, cherish and protect us according to His perfect plan for His kingdom. And He is the one who numbers our days according to this same will for our lives! In Him both life and death are perfect, but we know that His perfection does not come without sadness and pain and so now what? What next? What can we say? What can we do? 

DRAW NEAR! Seek Him! Take rest in His promises! Find hope in His word! Gather strength from His sovereignty! 

Drawing near alongside you... many thoughts and prayers are with each one of you! I love y'all!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thanks for the encouraging words. It means alot. Love ya.