Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Cup of Joe in the Mo


Good Morning Blog World! I am working on about 4ish hours of sleep today so you'll have to excuse me for this zany post! It became apparent to me during one of my late night feedings that I needed to let all of my friends, family members and fellow-bloggers know that I have officially become an adult... that's right! Congrats to me! 

Oh that's great Katie... adulthood! Becoming a parent really does send you into an entirely different realm of adulthood, doesn't it? Technically, I've been a parent for almost 11 months and I am just now writing this post... so it wasn't parenthood that helped me reach this pinnacle of achievement.

You'd think that getting my first job, marriage, buying our first home, giving birth, any of these things would warrant an official transition into adulthood, but you couldn't be more wrong! So you're dying right... what has made me an adult? A sleepless night? No sir... adulthood comes with a cup of joe in the mo! That's right... a good old fashioned mug of mud!

I have always prided myself in the fact that I was not a coffee drinker. I didn't NEED it to start my day. I could function just fine with or without a shot of caffeine in the morning. While I was pregnant I was Susie Stickler when it came to caffeine... no way, not me! I didn't have tea, coke, coffee, the only source of caffeine I had pumping through my body was an occasional bite of chocolate... okay, okay a couple of bites!

Now you must understand that just because I didn't NEED coffee did not mean that I did not enjoy it. A tall, nonfat, sugar-free vanilla latte in a biodegradable cardboard cup complete with recyclable coffee collar... YES PLEASE! I used to wake up 30 minutes earlier so I could swing by the ONE drive-thru Starbucks on my way to work. I would wait in line for several minutes anticipating that foamy first sip... and who can resist the chipper barista on the other end of the speakerphone... "Good Morning, Welcome to Starbucks, what can I get started for you this morning?" When you hear that voice you are confident that the drink you are about to enjoy will give you the 'barista buzz' you'll need to sit in traffic for one zillion minutes while listening to the Hollywood Skinny on KissFM. By the time you get to work, your drink is all but hot and you only have a few sips left... chug, chug... it's going to be a great day! "Good morning boss, what can I get started for you this morning?"

As you can see I have never been a coffee-hater, in fact I embrace the tasty brown drink. My fight for all of these years has been against NEEDING a cup of joe in the mo! I had so many conversations that went just like this...

"You want a cup of coffee?"

"No, thanks. I don't really drink it very often!"

"What? You don't have a cup of joe every mo?"

"Nope. It's just not something I HAVE to have."

"Oh that'll change... trust me! Just wait until you have kids!"

Oh, okay caffeine junkie! I'll wait and see what happens. I will never need a cup of joe in the mo! 

And that brings me to today... this morning... yesterday morning, the morning before that, and that...

UNCLE! I give... I did it! I crossed over to the dark side, with cream and sugar of course! I admit it, a cup of joe in the mo is just what I need. Judge me if you must but respect me for my honesty and congratulate me for becoming an adult...FINALLY! 

I've had a struggle with my friend Joe the past few days... trying to decide if I was jeopardizing Caden because I was drinking caffeine while breastfeeding. I've done my research and read countless things online and dang it if there is not one thing to worry about. In moderation caffeine is fine even while pregnant... I knew that... so while breastfeeding it is even more okay...

So I know there are a few of you out there that are thinking AMEN sister, I'm with ya. And then there are others... others who will never NEED coffee. We all know these women... they are the..."I feel GREAT during my first-trimester'ers!" Or the "I was in body pump when my water broke'ers." Or the "I was back in my skinny jeans the first week I was home'ers!" PAH-LEASE!

Don't you worry about a thing my fellow-weaklings! Drink you a cup of joe in the mo and admit that you need it! How else do you survive the crib transition... ALAS! Sidenote: those same women who will never need coffee are also the women who will have kids who sleep through the night at 2 weeks of age... (if I cursed, you all know what plural five-letter word would be after the last dot, dot, dot! )

I have obviously already had my cup of joe this mo and it has done me some good! For Bachelor fans out there my cup of joe each mo turns me from Megan into Melissa! Oh yah... C-O-F-F-E-E!! There is already one poor child who has to have Megan as his mom, does the world need another? C-a-d-e-n deserves a cheerleader and a cheerleader he'll get! 

So if you're feeling a little tired, tense or tragically topsy-turvy today, I have just one thing to ask... have you had your cup of joe this mo?

THE END!

Roll the credits! After my cup of joe this mo, Caden and I sat and chatted about the night we had had... sleepless in Round Rock we both agreed. About 4:30 I had had enough of the every 10 to 15 minute trip into Caden's room to soothe him, so I sent Justin in for a whirl! Caden said he was not a happy camper. He showed me what daddy's face looked like when he had to come in a second time... YIKES!

Looks like someone probably needed two cups of joe this mo! Sorry daddy! We love you!!


1 comment:

Emily and Josh said...

So hilarious... and welcome to the club! :) Although sadly it didn't even take kids to get me there...